Hexagoal Ligue 1 Trophy
News

Jardim back at Monaco

Publish on 26/01/2019 at 00h00 - S. WILLIS

Share

Only three months after leaving Monaco, Leonardo Jardim is back as coach, having signed a two-and-a-half year deal with the Principality club.

The 44-year-old Portuguese led Monaco to the 2017 Ligue 1 Conforama title but left earlier this season following a string of disappointing results. Franck Passi will take charge of 19th-placed Monaco's game at Dijon on Saturday evening.

Vice-president Vadim Vasiliyev said: "The club is going through a very difficult time. Today I am prepared to declare that I take full responsibility. We must admit we sld too many important players in the transfer window and that despite considerable investment we made errors in replacing them. That meant we weren't able to build a new competitive team. The decision to sack coach Leonardo Jardim was also taken prematurely.

"Leonardo Jardim's time at Monaco, as I said when he left, was one of the mist beautiful pages in the history of the club. Now we realise his story with the club didn't finish the way it should have done. We should have given him a chance to continue his work. Thierry Henry is a football legend but the circumstances weren't favourable to him.

"We are convinced it is not too late to turn things around and we believed the players will mobilise and be able to- along with Leonardo Jardim - get through this crisis."