Over the years, France and Ligue 1 Uber Eats have consistently produced the stars of tomorrow - Benzema, Mbappé, Camavinga to name a few - and this doesn't look like it will stop any time soon. Check out our run-down of the most exciting new talents to emerge in Ligue 1 Uber Eats in the 2021-22 season...
The quality of the Rennes squad was confirmed again this season. And the succession of Eduardo Camavinga - winner of the Champions League the season after his departure from Brittany - seems assured at Stade Rennais. For in the 2021-22 season, Stade Rennais have been hard at work doing what the club and renowned youth academy have been doing for decades - producing the next weave of footballing talent.
Freshly crowned European champion with France's U17s, Mathys Tel took his first steps in Ligue 1 Uber Eats in the season just past (seven appearances). The Rennes striker was the youngest player to play in the championship this season, becoming the 11th youngest player in the history of the French top flight! He was joined by two other SRFC young guns in the Top 5 (Belocian and Ugockukwu).
Youngest players in Ligue 1 Uber Eats this season:
1. Mathys Tel (Stade Rennais), 16 years and 110 days
2. Leny Yoro (LOSC), 16 years and 182 days
3. El Chadaille Bitshiabu (PSG), 16 years and 339 days
4. Jeanuël Belocian (Stade Rennais), 17 years and 31 days
5. Lesley Ugochukwu (Stade Rennais), 17 years and 135 days
6. Derek Mazou-Sacko (ESTAC), 17 years and 151 days
7. Samuel Koeberle (Stade de Reims), 17 years and 156 days
8. Mohamed-Ali Cho (Angers SCO), 17 years and 201 days
9. Habib Diarra (RCSA), 17 years and 287 days
10. William Mikelbrencis (FC Metz), 17 years and 318 days
Mohamed-Ali Cho: Youngest player in 2021, youngest scorer in 2022
In terms of goalscorers, the youngest of the season was Mohamed-Ali Cho (Angers SCO), who last year was the youngest player to set foot on a Ligue 1 Uber Eats pitch. Behind the Angers lad (four goals in 2021-22), one of the most high-flying youngsters was Elye Wahi (MHSC, ten goals), the fourth-youngest scorer of the season, who had already scored three times in 2020-21.
The youngest scorers this season in Ligue 1 Uber Eats:
1. Mohamed-Ali Cho (Angers SCO), 17 years and 222 days (vs SRFC)
2. Lesley Ugochukwu (Stade Rennais), 17 years and 254 days (vs ASSE)
3. Lucas Gourna-Douath (AS St-Etienne), 18 years and 241 days (vs OM)
4. Elye Wahi (Montpellier HSC), 18 years and 302 days (vs FCN)
5. Timothée Pembélé (Bordeaux), 18 years and 340 days (vs OM)
6. Castello Lukeba (OL), 19 years and 5 days (vs FCM)
7. Sékou Mara (Bordeaux), 19 years and 23 days (vs SCO)
8. Saïdou Sow (AS St-Etienne), 19 years and 48 days (vs LOSC)
9. Hugo Ekitike (Stade de Reims), 19 years and 84 days (vs SRFC)
10. Kamory Doumbia (Stade de Reims), 19 years and 85 days (vs ASSE)