Paris, Quevilly through to semis

French Cup


Paris Saint-Germain pulled off a dramatic win, 6-5 on penalties over Auxerre after extra time ended scoreless, while CFA (D4) side Quevilly continued their giant-killing run with a comprehensive 3-1 win over Boulogne as the French Cup quarter-finals got under way on Tuesday night.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

French Cup quarter-finals


Auxerre v PSG: 0-0 (5-6 on penalties)

Despite a host of chances for Paris in the first half and Auxerre late in the second, extra time and then penalties were needed to split the two sides in their quest for a place in the semi-finals.

Paris captain Claude Makelele managed to keep a silver lining on his club’s beleaguered season by converting successfully from the spot after Julien Quercia missed for Auxerre to take the match 6-5 on penalties.

The game was played behind closed doors in Auxerre and the absence of the fans was keenly felt as the match struggled to come to life, the two teams cancelling each other out in the midfield for long stretches.

Paris seemed the more eager to break the deadlock however, but neither Guillaume Hoarau, Stéphane Sessegnon nor Mevlut Erding could make the break as Auxerre defended capably before Poland striker Ireneusz Jelen had the best chance of the second half when he drew a spectacular horizontal save from Apoula Edel with a powerful goal-bond drive (75’).

With the score locked 0-0 after 90 minutes, extra time ensued and Auxerre picked up where they had left off, Jelen and Romania star Daniel Niculae continuing the attacks on Edel’s goal that had peppered the last 15 minutes of regular time.

Serbian international Mateja Kezman looked to have secured the win for Paris with a fine header after Giuly had rounded his man and crossed to perfection, but the ball cannoned back off the upright to leave Auxerre in the match (105’) until Quercia’s miss handed the semi-final berth to the men from the capital.


Quevilly (CFA – D4) v Boulogne: 3-1

CFA (D4) side Quevilly pulled off yet another upset result to progress to the semi-finals of the French Cup for the first time in 42 years, dishing out a shock defeat to Ligue 1 side Boulogne in Rouen.

The amateur side made up for what they lacked in technique with greater commitment and effort than their professional opponents, getting off to a flying start through Florian Coquio (11’) before Anthony Laup, who set up the first, turned scorer (29’).

Damien Marcq pulled one back for the shocked Boulogne men (45’+2) – the first goal Quevilly have conceded in the competition this year despite having been faced with the likes of Ligue 2’s Angers and Ligue 1’s Rennes – but Quevilly kept their eyes on the prize and Abdel Ouahbi made sure of their historic win with a third (67’).


>> All the French Cup quarter-finals fixtures


Your email has been successfully sent