Antonetti agrees Rennes extension

Eden Hazard s'infiltre dans la défense du Toulouse FC
Ligue 1 Conforama > News
13/04/2011

Frédéric Antonetti has signed an extension to his contract as coach of Rennes, keeping him in Brittany until 2013.

 

With his existing deal set to come to an end this summer, Antonetti had been in talks with Rennes for several weeks, but the club were finally able to announce news of an agreement on Tuesday.

“I had been certain for some time that he would put pen to paper,” Rennes’ general manager Pierre Dréossi told the club website. “We already had a verbal agreement, but yesterday we saw the president Patrick Le Lay and the shareholders François and François-Henri Pinault, and we confirmed it officially.

 “We have outlined the way forward. We want to give ourselves every chance to be competing at the top of the table each season. The work carried out with our young players this season should leave us in good stead for next year. To get to where we want to be, we need to keep our squad together. That will not be easy, but it is our aim.”

'A real pleasure'

Antonetti arrived at the Stade de la Route de Lorient in the summer of 2009 from Nice, and while Rennes’ ninth-place finish last season was their lowest in six years, they have progressed in the current campaign, and currently lie fourth, still in contention for Champions League qualification.

“I have never hidden my desire to extend my stay here,” said the 49 year-old Antonetti. “I am working with young players with whom I get on very well and it will be a real pleasure to continue doing that.

“We want to keep the squad we have and add two or three more players. There will be no revolution of the playing squad because we are just starting something here. Now, the aim is to finish this season strongly, and then we can look to maintain our progression next season.”

>> Rennes club page








Your email has been successfully sent
OK