Lionel Messi's goal against FC Nantes on Saturday made him the oldest player to score his first Ligue 1 Uber Eats goal this season. Check out who are the top ten oldest debut scorers of the season, as well as who is the most senior player to bag his first strike in France's top flight since season 1950-51!
After several weeks of waiting, Lionel Messi finally scored his first Ligue 1 Uber Eats goal at the weekend - the six-time Ballon d'Or winner fired a superb left-footed curler past Alban Lafont to seal a 3-1 victory over FC Nantes on Saturday. At 34 years, 4 months and 27 days old, the Parisian thus became the oldest new striker of the season, ahead of Clermont Foot 63's Florent Ogier, who scored against OGC Nice the following day (32 years and 8 months).
Perhaps unsurprsingly, promoted Clermont Foot 63 - currently in their first-ever top-flight campaign - have five of the ten oldest players to score their first Ligue 1 Uber Eats goal since the beginning of the 2021-22 season. In addition to Florent Ogier, the top ten includes Jason Berthomier (31 years, 10 months and 1 day), Jodel Dossou (29 years, 4 months and 22 days), Elbasan Rashani (28 years, 3 months and 13 days) and Vital N'Simba (28 years, 3 months and 8 days).
Oldest scorers at the time of their first goal in Ligue 1 Uber Eats this season:
1. Lionel Messi (Paris Saint-Germain): 34 years, 4 months and 27 days (20/11/2021 vs FC Nantes)
2. Florent Ogier (Clermont Foot): 32 years and 8 months (21/11/2021 vs OGC Nice)
3. Jason Berthomier (Clermont Foot): 31 years, 10 months and 1 day (07/11/2021 vs AS Saint-Etienne)
4. Xherdan Shaqiri (OL): 29 years, 11 months and 12 days (22/09/2021 vs Troyes)
5. Jodel Dossou (Clermont Foot): 29 years, 4 months and 22 days (08/08/2021 vs Bordeaux)
6. Elbasan Rashani (Clermont Foot): 28 years, 3 months and 13 days (22/08/2021 vs OL)
7. Vital N'Simba (Clermont Foot): 28 years, 3 months and 8 days (16/10/2021 vs LOSC)
8. Julien Laporte (FC Lorient): 27 years, 10 months and 29 days (03/10/2021 vs Clermont Foot)
9. Emerson (OL): 27 years, 1 month and 19 days (22/09/2021 vs Troyes)
10. Thomas Foket (Stade de Reims): 27 years and 1 day (26/09/2021 vs Nantes)
Ricardo Carvalho remains the reference
Looking deeper into the history of Ligue 1 Uber Eats, Lionel Messi doesn't make it into the top ten oldest goalscorers since the 1950-51 season. It is a former AS Monaco defender who tops the list: Ricardo Carvalho. Now retired, the former Portuguese international scored his first goal in France at the age of 37 years and 236 days, on 9 January 2016 against GFC Ajaccio.
A taste of things to come...
As for the players still active in Ligue 1 Uber Eats, only one is present in this ranking: experienced Turkey striker Burak Yilmaz, who arrived at LOSC last season and was instrumental in the club's title success, is in seventh place. The former Besiktas, Trabzonspor and Galatasaray player scored for the first time in the French league at the age of 35 years and 72 days, on 25 September 2020 against FC Nantes.
Oldest scorers at the time of their first Ligue 1 Uber Eats goal since 1950:
1. Ricardo Carvalho (AS Monaco): 37 years and 236 days (09/01/16 vs GFC Ajaccio)
2. Manfred Kaltz (Mulhouse): 36 years and 345 days (17/12/89 vs Racing Club de France)
3. Lukas Aurednik (RC Lens): 36 years and 197 days (05/09/54 vs Lyon)
4. Oceano (Toulouse FC): 36 years and 101 days (07/11/98 vs Bordeaux)
5. Hervé Lybohy (Nîmes Olympique): 35 years and 133 days (24/11/18 vs Strasbourg)
6. Lars Jacobsen (Guingamp): 35 years and 78 days (07/12/14 vs Reims)
7. Burak Yilmaz (LOSC): 35 years and 72 days (25/09/20 vs Nantes)
8. Omar Daf (Stade Brestois 29): 35 years and 55 days (07/04/12 vs LOSC)
9. Mário Coluna (Lyon): 35 years and 20 days (26/08/70 vs Ajaccio )
10. Jerzy Wilim (Rennes): 35 years and 4 days (18/08/76 vs Lens)