Focus

Who will clinch European football on the final day?

Who will clinch European football on the final day?

Focus
Publish on 05/18 at 12:47 - G. BOXALL

Share

As the final day of the 2023-2024 Ligue 1 Uber Eats season gets underway on Sunday, we take a look at the current European permutations

After a six year absence, AS Monaco have assured their spot in the league phase of next year's newly-formatted UEFA Champions League - Adi Hütter's side will join Paris Saint-Germain. Yet, there will be one last podium stop that is being fought between LOSC Lille and Stade Brestois who currently both sit on 58 points, Les Dogues sit ahead currently on goal difference (+2). Lille will host OGC Nice, whilst Brest will have to travel to Toulouse FC tomorrow evening. Opta currently predicts LOSC have a 75% probability of finishing in third place, whilst Brest stand at a 25% chance.

Meanwhile, OGC Nice are guaranteed to finish in the top five for the 5th time in their last nine campaigns. Les Aiglons will be participating in a major European competition for the sixth time in 12 seasons.

Sixth and seventh place could be enough for Europe

Depending on the outcome of the final of the Coupe de France, clubs who finish in sixth and seventh spot could qualify for the Europa League and Europa Conference League respectively. In the race for these spots sit Lens, Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique de Marseille - the former two only need a draw to qualify following OM's loss to Reims in the week putting them three points behind. Opta predicted that Lens could qualify in the 6th spot with a 72% probability, whilst Lyon and Marseille sit on 25% and 3% respectively. Thus, the Sang & Or could be in line for their second European season, which hasn't happened for the club in the last 15 seasons.

Lyon, meanwhile, would secure a Europa League spot if they win the Coupe de France, or a Conference League spot if PSG lift the trophy. In that case, seventh place could qualify for Europe.